Thursday, September 24, 2009

Week 9- Tute task- the essay sources

The question i have chosen is question 4: What are the uses/limits of the internet in terms of politics and/or democracy? Should we rethink the nature of the political? What happens to the nation/state in the age of networks that have the potential to span the whole planet? What has happened to the idea of "community" in the age of networked digital media? Discuss with an example.

I I have used Google scholar, a few books from the library and journal articles accessed through Griffith Uni. Some of my essay sources are as follows:

1. Political parties and the Internet: net gain? By Rachel Kay Gibson, Paul Nixon, Stephen War

- It discusses the effects of the internet on politics

- The information is opinionative rather than informative however the informative areas match up with other sources.

- It will to help me to from an opinion on the effect the Internet has had on politics.

2. The Internet and politics: citizens, voters and activists By Sarah Oates, Diana Marie Owen, Rachel Kay Gibson

- It discusses whether or not the internet can make a difference in the building and challenging of politics

- The case studies are scenic rather than opinionative which suggests the source is reliable

- It includes scientific case studies which I can use as evidence in my arguments


3. New media and American politics By Richard Davis, Diana Marie Owen

- It discuss the effect of new media specifically on campaigns

- I am yet to read the majority of the crucial parts so I cant confirm whether or not it matches other sources

- It will give me a greater understanding as to how the internet has effected campaigns- this will help me to form an argument on the effect the internet has created for campaigns.

4. Internet politics: states, citizens, and new communication technologies / Andrew Chadwick.

Author: Chadwick, Andrew.

- This book sounds helpful but it’s out of the library at the moment but due back in next week.

5.'Politicians tap Twitter to tweak profiles', Antoni Slodkowski. McClatchy - Tribune Business News. Washington: Jul 29, 2009.

-It discusses how politicians are now using twitter as a political too

- Its like no other sources I have come across but everything is backed by statistics and there is a reference list, therefore its seem reliable.

- I can you this article as evidence to support my argument that political self promotion is widely available and utilized on the web

No comments:

Post a Comment